JOB TITLE: Interim City Manager
The City of Gunter is seeking an Interim City Manager with experience managing fast-growing municipalities. The City Manager shall perform all duties required by law, ordinance, resolution or order of the governing body and shall attend all meetings of the governing body.
Gunter is a unique community exemplified by a commitment to the preservation of its’ history, a high quality of life, a vibrant business community and environmental sensitivity.
We are a city steeped in a rich historical past through which we have emerged as a vital community committed to excellence, innovation and sound fiscal policies. Our neighborhoods are safe, healthy and as unique as the individuals who inhabit them.
Essential Job Duties:
· Manage and coordinate the City’s department supervisors and staff. In doing so, the City Manager will serve as the liaison between departments, external organizations, other agencies and the general public.
· Facilitate and/or participate in meetings and/or proceedings.
· Manage the development and implementation of departmental goals and objectives subject to the authority of the Mayor and City Council.
· In conjunction with the Mayor and the City’s department supervisors, develop budgets for Council consideration; has responsibility for final budgetary recommendations and fiscal accountability to the Mayor and City Council.
· Coordinates annual budget preparation; approves expenditures and implements budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
· Develop and maintain positive working relations with State, Federal and other local governmental agencies.
· Conduct research into issues facing the City; make recommendations to Council on such issues and leads City staff in the accomplishment of the City’s goals and priorities.
None of the job duties within this job description are intended to be, nor are they, delegations of the power or duties of the Mayor as prescribed by Texas Local Government Code Section 22.042 nor do they include any powers or duties reserved for a City Manager by Texas Local Government Code Section 25.029. The City Manager shall provide assistance to the Mayor in exercising such duties of City Manager at the direction of the Mayor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge of the following:
o Program development; administration principles and practices
o Public relations principles
· Skilled in the following:
o Proving leadership
o Management of projects
o Analyzing and development of policies and procedures
o Preparation and administration of municipals or governmental entity budgets
o Planning, analyzing and evaluating programs and services, operational needs and fiscal constraints
o Gathering and analyzing information. Making recommendations based on those findings and in support of organizational goals
o Organizing, prioritizing and managing multiple simultaneous projects
o Interpreting, applying and explaining laws, codes, ordinances, regulations, rules, policies and procedures
o Preparing clear and concise reports either orally, written or by audio/visual
o Maintaining confidential and sensitive information
o Communicating effectively with a variety of individuals
o Ability to operate a computer and related software applications used by the City of Gunter
QUALIFICATIONS AND PREFERENCES:
· Bachelors’ Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Political Science, Management or related field AND a minimum of five (5) years in municipal administration, three (3) years of which was in a managerial role: OR equivalent combination of education and experience. Masters’ Degree in Public Administration is preferred but not required.
· Must reside with the Gunter City limits within a time specified by the City Council within a time-frame established by the City Council.
· Must be bondable
· Must possess a State of Texas “Valid” Drivers’ License
· Must pass a pre-employment drug screening and/or post-offer physical exam.
· Prefer experience with economic development and management of growth-related issues.
· Prefer experience with Public Improvement District Implementation and ongoing processes and procedures
· Prefer experience with Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone implementation and ongoing processes and procedures
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND CONDITIONS (INCLUDES PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
· Work is performed in an office setting.
· Subject to repetitive motion such as typing, data entry and vision to monitor
· May be subjected to extended periods of standing and sitting during presentations or attending public and special events.
· May work extended hours, evenings and weekends
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume and cover letter to:
City of Gunter
Attn: City Secretary, Detra Gaines
P.O. Box 349
Gunter, Texas 75058
· This is an Interim position. A Full-Time City Manager position will be posted to TML within the next 30 days.